Tributes paid to ‘oldest Filtonian’

March 04 2019
Tributes paid to ‘oldest Filtonian’

The son of a man who may have been Filton’s oldest resident has paid tribute to him after he passed away in January.

by Keri Beckingham
The son of a man who may have been Filton’s oldest resident has paid tribute to him after he passed away in January.
Sidney Victor Chilcott was 99 years old when he died, and he had spent most of his life living in the area.
He was born on November 2 1919 in a house at the top of Filton Hill, and shortly afterwards the family of seven (including Sidney’s two sisters and two siblings from his dad’s previous marriage) moved to a terraced house on Station Road, opposite St Peter’s Church.
During his younger years his dad worked for a Canadian firm in Corn Street in the city centre, and his mum also helped behind the bar at The Horseshoe pub as a bar maid.
Sidney went to school in the church grounds of St Peter’s Church, before leaving education at the age of 14. At 16, he went to work for Bristol Aeroplane Company (BAC) in Filton as an apprentice machinist, where he stayed for the rest of his career until he retired in the 1980s.
As part of his work he had to make parts for aircraft engines from before World War II right up until Concorde, which was a very technical and highly skilled job. As a result of this, when World War II broke out he wasn’t allowed to join the Navy as he was classed as having a reserved occupation, which meant he was exempt from military service.
Sidney met his wife, Audrey Tucker, after the war started and the couple were married in 1941. Audrey worked as a bookkeeper for several companies in the city including BAC and Bristol City, and when their only son, Robert, was born in January 1943, the family moved to Charles Road.
In the early 1950s Sidney moved to Sunderland temporarily for work when BAC opened a factory there and he was asked to go and train up the new employees. He used to travel there on the train, and came home to visit Audrey and Robert regularly at the weekends.
In the late 1990s the couple moved to a small bungalow in Conygre Road due to Audrey’s poor health. Sadly, Audrey died in 2000, and Sidney started to find it difficult to cope at home on his own.
Following this and his own deteriorating health, he moved to Begbrook House Care Home in Frenchay in August 2018, where he lived until he passed away.
Speaking to Filton Voice about his dad and his life, Robert Chilcott said: “Everyone seemed to like him, and he was an all-round likeable bloke – he was generous, he was funny at times, and he had a very nice personality. He was a good gardener and he liked going to the pub – his favourite drink was beer and The Horseshoe was the main pub that he visited. He also played skittles for The Plough, supported Bristol Rovers and liked betting on the horses too.
 “When my mum died he found it more difficult to cope by himself. In the old days the wife did everything in terms of keeping the house together, and when she passed on he really missed her.
"He was nearly 99 before he had to go into the home, and was completely independent up until then.
“He stayed in Filton all his life, and he saw it grow from not very many houses to the sprawling area it is now. He did have lots of friends in the area, and wherever he went in Filton he always knew someone, even in later life, and it’s amazing really that he outlived everybody.”
Sidney’s funeral was held on February 11 at Westerleigh Crematorium. He leaves behind Robert, his younger sister Pat who lives in Ventor Road, three grandchildren and six great grandchildren.