Jack Lopresti to fight election despite 'smear' campaign

Published on: 14 May 2017

Thumbnail Image

By Rebecca Day
Jack Lopresti has been reeselected as the Tory candidate for Filton and Bradley Stoke in the General Election following what he described as a “vicious smear campaign”.
Mr Lopresti’s candidacy was left in doubt after calls were made in a letter written by an anonymous sender for Conservative members to deselect him.
But he was readopted to stand as the Conservative candidate for Filton and Bradley Stoke at a local association selection meeting of party members on April 28.
Mr Lopresti took to Twitter to announce the news. He said: “A fantastic honour to be re-adopted to contest Filton & Bradley Stoke as the Conservative candidate in the general election.”
In a statement released before the meeting, Mr Lopresti said: "For the last month my family and I have been subject to a vicious smear campaign with racist overtones.
“Since the day after my son Clifford was born, my office has been bombarded with bogus calls from people purporting to be national journalists and with dark threats of illegally taped conversations.
“There have clearly been illegal data breaches where private parliamentary emails have been accessed and handed to the media.
“The local Conservative party has potentially also had a data breach. I have informed the police and will expect them to carry out a full investigation.
“I have had many messages of support from party members and lots of constituents and I am sure that this recent attempt to destroy my character and reputation has been orchestrated by a small handful of people.
"This may include a former very bitter party member and possibly a disgruntled employee.
"I can only think that this is as a result of personal choices I have made in my private life, which some may not have approved. I love my fiance Andrea and am extremely proud of my young son Clifford and nobody will ever be able to change that."
Dr Barbara Lewis, federation chair of Bristol and South Gloucestershire Conservatives, said: “Jack’s tireless work for the area and his ambitious plans for the next five years make him the best candidate for the job.”
As reported in the Bristol Post, the letter circulated to Tory party members stated that there were many who felt Mr Lopresti was not “representing the constituency in a very good
way”, and that there were others who should be given a
chance.
The seat has been held by Mr Lopresti since 2010.

Comments (0)






Add a new comment:* (Allowed tags: <b><i><br>)

*Mandatory fields